Commercial Opportunity Analysis: Is it commercially viable?
Take the first vital step
Commercial opportunity analysis is the first vital step in the journey to market for a new technology. If it isn’t carried out correctly, every decision and action that follows can be compromised.
Ask the right questions
Some consultants are tempted to take shortcuts - like focusing on the ‘perceived value’ or ‘academic value’ of the technology - rather than on actual market needs and commercial opportunities.
At Corelli Consulting, we believe this crucial step must be done thoroughly with no shortcuts, so you will know the answers to fundamental questions such as:
- Is there a genuine market for this technology?
- Does this technology/platform have demonstrable commercial value?
- What are the chances of this company becoming a leader in its area?
Read how our Commercial Opportunity Analysis for this Biocatalyst company provided insights into niche opportunities for commercialisation.
Gain both perspectives
Commercial opportunity analysis requires two distinct types of experience - technical and commercial. This is rare combination in business and one which sets Corelli Consulting apart, and enables us to clearly identify the commercial opportunities for the technology, as well as how it might be applied or packaged to meet global market needs.
Use a bio-industry expert
We work only in bio-manufacturing and bio-industry - from industrial enzymes, chemicals and plastics, energy and fuels, to food, food ingredients and nutraceuticals - and in biomedical, including medical devices, diagnostics, drug development and stem cell therapies. We work with end-users, investors, inventors, policy makers and other industry stakeholders.
We understand these markets at a deep level, completing numerous successful commercial opportunity analyses, broadly applying the following approach.
Discover our approach
Our approach is to:
- Evaluate the extent of market demand or ‘market pull’ for the innovation;
- Identify industrial contexts where the technology has obvious commercial value;
- Recommend a product portfolio most likely to provide an early commercial return for investors, and establish the inventor’s business credentials;
- Identify key competitors in the target market, and assess the inventor’s chances of becoming a leader in it;
- Identify implementers of innovation in the pharmaceutical, chemical, energy or related industry sectors who have the potential to become strategic partners;
- Analyse the recent deal history for comparable technologies or products, to support decision-making for licensing transactions, collaborative agreements and partnering;
- Scope the critical milestones on the path to market for the technology; and
- GAP analysis to assess your capacity to deliver on your technology’s promise.
….she developed a deep understanding of our market place, its dynamics and levers…and provided us with an excellent and detailed report covering not only the company’s future and its opportunities in the longer term, but also about the current hurdles we faced executing our short term goals.
What she provided was clear, easily understood and executable.."
Post-consumer Materials Recycler
Investment PitchDOWNLOAD »